Mike Barkley, Candidate for Congress
(c) 2011, Mike Barkley
08/29/2009 - 09/10/2009
Dear Senator Unamit:
I'm puzzled and annoyed by the health care debate. Waaaay too
complicated. I don't need all that. I just need what follows. Me, my
family, my tenants, my friends, poor people, rich people, all the people,....
SHORT-FORM HEALTHCARE LEGISLATION:
This postpones the divisive debates on illegal aliens, competition, funding,
taxes, fees, class warfare, benefits for the poor, penalties for the rich,
coverage for the middle class, deficits, surplusses, size of the legislation,
the medicare donut, electronic records, health care inflation, pre-existing
conditions, cherry picking, health insurance reform, small business impacts,
death panels, and whatever other junk is hiding in the bushes that they may
trot out to try and kill the only part of health reform that makes sense, the
public option, and allows Washington to make it as complicated or as silly
as it wants only do it later,...
1) There is established a "Public Option Health Plan" (POHP) within the
Department of Health and Human Services.
2) The Secretary of Health & Human Services shall set the monthly premium
for membership in the POHP at the beginning of each calendar quarter based
on a formula that the Secretary shall choose; the Secretary shall adopt such
regulations and procedures as are necessary for the POHP.
3) Anyone may become a member of the POHP upon application.
4) There shall be zero deductible or co-pay and no monetary ceiling on
medical treatment for POHP members.
5) Anyone without health insurance appearing for treatment or preventative
care at a licensed doctor's office, clinic, hospital, hospice, dentist,
oculist, chiropractor, midwife, ambulance, etc., or with a prescription at
a pharmacy, anywhere within the United States, its territories and
protectorates, will be automatically made a member of the POHP, as will be
anyone without health insurance accompanying that person.
6) Monthly premiums will be collected by the Internal Revenue Service for the
POHP. Unpaid premiums will be subject to standard IRS collection practices
after two years.
7) Any POHP member may withdraw from membership upon showing proof of
coverage by other health insurance.
8) Initially, $1 billion is appropriated for the POHP, and when the Secretary
forcasts that funding is inadequate, the Secretary shall approach Congress
with a budget outlining what further annual funding is needed and when. In
the absence of or shortage of appropriations, the Secretary shall reallocate
as much funding within the Secretary's department as possible to fund the POHP
before suspending POHP benefits.
--Mike Barkley, 167 N. Sheridan Ave., Manteca, CA 95336 (H) 209/823-4817
No more excuses! - Cure Multiple Sclerosis now!